Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Hail to the Chief . . .

No doubt my regular followers (and you three know who you are) are wondering why I've not posted anything about the inauguration of President Barack Obama. Work, Christmas de-decorating, and stopping four or five times a day/evening to watch whenever the strains of "At Last" signaled another replay of Barack and Michelle taking to the dance floor at one of the inaugural balls all conspired to keep me from putting pen to paper or--in this case--fingers to keyboard.

Work has become temporarily manageable, most of the decorations are safely stored away, and the Obama's are dancing no more--at least not on television replays. It's time to look back at that historic day.

I arrived on campus at about 7:30--early for me. At about 8:30 faculty and staff began drifting into the conference room where CNN was streaming. CNN wasn't the only thing streaming. Try as I might, I couldn't stop the tears, which started streaming simultaneously with CNN some 20 minutes or so before the inauguration. Tears ebbed and flowed and reached maximum saturation twice--when I saw the President-elect walking down the hall toward the West Front of the Capitol and again after the oath was administered and "Hail to the Chief" proclaimed President Obama. It was heartening to see I was not the only weepy one--there stood Denise in the back of the room with glistening cheeks. An emotional kindred soul is she.

I found the day perfect. From beginning to end--the fumbled oath, the speech, the poem, the music, the parade (one of my favorite moments is when the President and First Lady make the obligatory exit from the limo and march down the avenue), the balls (and the crowd goes wild over a simple twirl).
I found the Obama family perfect. I see them and I see the epitome of the all-American family.

I found Barack Obama perfect. Presidential--in appearance. bearing, manner, and speech. Charismatic and charming. I'm proud that he is our President, and I am more hopeful for our country and for our world than I have been lo these many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

These Are a Lot of My Favorite Things !

  • A Really GOOD Hamburger
  • AAA Trip Tiks
  • American History
  • Anne of Green Gables (Canadian Television Production)
  • Antiques Roadshow (TV)
  • Anything My Cousin Florence Cooks
  • Apple Farm Inn in San Luis Obispo
  • Apple Hill
  • Apples - See My Apple Room Slideshow on the Right
  • Aprons - The Old-Fashioned Kind from the 30's, 40's, 50's
  • Avocados
  • Babies
  • Big Band Music
  • Big Cities
  • Bill Bryson
  • Boston
  • Breakfast for Dinner
  • Broadway Musicals
  • Bull Durham (Movie)
  • Calendars
  • California Gold Country
  • Casper's/Kasper's Hot Dogs
  • Chess Pie from Neldam's Bakery
  • Clotheslines
  • Clotted/Devonshire Cream
  • Coloring in Coloring Books
  • Corner Gas (TV)
  • Dill Pickles
  • Diner Memorabilia
  • Disneyland
  • Esther Williams & Van Johnson Movies
  • Fireworks
  • Flowers--White Geraniums, Roses of All Colors, Wildflowers, Pansies That Look Like Little Faces, Bougainvillea, Freesia--Is There a More Glorious Fragrance?
  • Formal Dining Rooms
  • Frasier (TV)
  • Garlic
  • Genealogy
  • George Strait
  • Gidget, Gidget Goes Hawaiian, Gidget Goes to Rome (Movies)
  • Going to the Zoo
  • Gooey Cinnamon Rolls
  • Google
  • Gooseberry Patch
  • High Tea
  • Holidays--All of Them!
  • Honey & Lexie - Two Very Sweet Maltese
  • I Love Lucy (TV)
  • Jigsaw Puzzles
  • June Allyson & Van Johnson Movies
  • Kaspers/Caspers Hot Dogs
  • Magazines
  • Meet Me in St. Louis (Movie)
  • Movie Musicals
  • Movie Popcorn at the Movies
  • My Family
  • My Friends & I - Niles, California
  • My Mother's Macaroni Salad
  • New Orleans - At Least My Memories of It
  • Old Time Radio Comedy Shows - Especially Burns & Allen and Jack Benny
  • Olives - Especially My Newly Discovered Mezzetta Mediterranean Olive Antipasto
  • Polka Dots
  • Skylines
  • Small Towns
  • Snowmen
  • Sourdough Bread
  • Sunsets
  • Susan Branch
  • Susan Rios
  • Taking Pictures of Signs--Yes Signs
  • The 3 Thirties
  • The Andy Griffith Show (TV)
  • The Beatles
  • The Big Bang Theory (TV)
  • The Carousel of Progress - Formerly at Disneyland - If You Were a Fan, Check Out the Updated Version at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKz6qdexetY
  • The Grand Canyon
  • The Oakland Museum White Elephant Sale
  • The Odd Couple (TV)
  • The Season of Autumn
  • The Way We Were (Movie)
  • Thomas McKnight
  • Top Chef (TV)
  • Traveling
  • TV Food Network - Especially The Barefoot Contessa; The Neeleys; Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives
  • Venice, Italy
  • Walnuts
  • Watercolors
  • What I Do for a Living--i.e., My Job
  • When Harry Met Sally (Movie)
  • Where the Boys Are (Movie--the Original)
  • Where's George
  • Window Flower Boxes
  • Wrapping Presents
  • YML

Followers

About Me

My photo
******************************** What identifies me? American. Italian-Swedish-German-Catholic American. Daughter. Native of Oakland. Baby Boomer! Graduate of Oakland Technical High School. History degree from Cal State Hayward. Sentimentalist. Looking for Mr. Right. Novice blogger. Author-in-Waiting. And last--but not least as anyone who knows me will tell you--packrat extraordinaire !!